Thursday, August 20, 2009

The past three

Well, I did the MDA Lock Up (www.mda.org) and I have to say...I'm not a fan of that type of fundraising. I called a bunch of people and actually got three on the phone - none of whom, after talking to them, could I ask for money.

One had just been to the doctor for carpal tunnell and I learned her mother had died a month earlier. The second regaled me with a story about having to go to the hospital by ambulance and discovered a bad infection in a very personal place plus my mom accidentally backing into another car at the mall. The third was so stressed about her current living arrangement a impending career change...well, there was no way. All told though, I earned about $200 - that's enough for six kids to get a flu vaccine.

Then there was bowling on Saturday. I was totally dreading that. I hate wearing those shoes! Well, I only wore them for one toss and went sock footed the rest of the time. We figured we'd pay our $20 to the Boone County Coalition Against Domestic Violence (http://mk-mk.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49763803906) bowl 10 frames and blow out of there. But OH NO...we ended up making it into the finals and finally coming in second place. It was pretty fun though...except when I slipped and bounced on the floor. My hip still hurts.

I also picked up some school supplies to give to a friend to put in a donation drive, but when she showed up Monday to donate them, the drive was over. I suggested giving them to Children and Families of Iowa. (www.cfiowa.org/)

Also just got the opportunity to help build baskets and work the Claws and Paws Auction for Animal Lifeline (www.animal-lifeline.com). That event takes place Nov. 7 at the Hotel Ft. Des Moines. (Finally I'll get to unload the silent auction item I "purchased". (I made the purchase but got the wrong basket.)

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment